Sweet, satisfying and healthy. Piece of cake, right?
Last weekend in the midst of sickness and cold weather I knew there was only one cure. Baking a sugary treat.
Knowing well and good that sugar is the last thing my crashing immune system needed, I consulted Lifestyle: Hopewood’s recipe for wellbeing. This gorgeous book is full of vegetarian recipes, lifestyle advice from professionals and gorgeous photography to kick-start your appetite! Best of all, it’s got a MOUTHWATERING dessert section. Yum!
After scanning through starters, dips, juices and mains ( Note to self: must try their vegetarian lasagne!!) I stumbled upon the lemon, pistachio and coconut slice. The method looked simple and the ingredients were fairly basic (I was only missing pistachios which I substituted for walnuts). I decided to give this a go.
Result? I don’t want to brag but I was very impressed with myself. So much so that I happily polished off 3/4 of the cake within a few days. I don’t advise anyone to do the same BUT definitely try this out for a healthier alternative that is a total crowd pleaser!
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup crushed pistachios (walnuts were also a delicious choice!)
fresh mint springs
(optional) mixed berry sauce for topping
1. Boil whole lemons for 1 hour, changing the water twice to remove any bitterness.
2. Blend lemons in a food processor.
3. Beat eggs, honey, vanilla and cardamom until creamy then stir in lemons.
4. Add almond meal, coconut and baking powder and mix gently.
5. Pour into non-stick baking tray, lined with baking paper.
6. Sprinkle with crushed pistachio nuts.
7. Bake in oven, pre-heated to 160C for 25-30 minutes or until firm.
8. Let cool in the baking tin, remove and cut into slices.
9. Top with mixed berry sauce and garnish with fresh mint.
For great health and wellbeing tips, recipes and professional advice visit www.hopewood.com.au
To purchase the book, click here!
Stay tuned for my next recipe!