Travelling is a thrilling experience that most of us look forward to. There’s something about the uncertainty, the unfamiliar destinations and strange new people that excites a sense of adventure. Putting all that aside, there is one truly unpleasant factor we all dread: packing.
Fitting all your belonging in a tiny rectangular box, the thought of forgetting something important and handling your life possessions over to strangers creates stress that we just don’t need before going away on a relaxing vacation.
Over the years I have gone on many trips both far and near and I have somehow managed to nail down the basic essentials. As long as these are packed, I know I can ensure myself a sense of comfort and calm (at least this is what I keep telling myself!). In addition, I have learned some awesome hacks from backpackers I met along the way.
In the coming weeks I am lucky enough to go on two trips: interstate for work and an overseas holiday. To make things easier for myself, and for you guys, I have complied a few helpful lists of my packing essentials and hacks. I hope this helps you out when you are preparing for your next adventure!
Travel hacks you must try:
- Roll clothes instead of folding them to save room and keep your clothes wrinkle free. I was a sceptic at first but this method really does save space and keeps your clothes looking their best.
- Those pesky little bags filled with beads that come in your new shoes, purses and even packaged food? Don’t throw them away because they make a perfect travel buddy! These are especially made to keep away moisture due to their drying powers. Keep these in your camera bags, suitcase, makeup or toiletries bag, beach bag and anything else you want to keep away from moisture or condensation.
- Stop your liquids like shampoos and moisturisers from leaking by wrapping cling wrap under lids before screwing them on.
- Keep the free hotel shower caps and use them to wrap over dirty shoes. This keeps the rest of your clothes clean and away from dirt and germs!
- Use a weekly pill organiser to separate your jewellery. This also deters thieves!
- Keep your earrings together by pinning them into old buttons.
- Keep your necklaces untangled by threading them individually through straws and hooking them as normal.
- Lighten your load by ditching the books and magazines and downloading them to your iPad.
- If you are going on a tour and have to share accommodation it’s handy to bring a power board to avoid conflict over power outlets.
- Again, on a tour it’s handy to bring a foldable sock air dryer with clips (trust me if you have one of these you will be everyone’s best friend!)
Packing list for domestic travel:
- A big tote bag for carry-on that includes: touch up makeup, hair brush, iPad, headphones, mints, Chapstick
- Chargers: phone, camera, iPad
- Clothes: day, evening, active wear, underwear, socks
- Shoes: day, evening, active
- Medicines and vitamins
- Toiletries: small containers to fill with your favourite moisturisers, make up, shampoo, conditioner. Also remember to pack deodorant, hair brush, face wipes, hair spray, toothbrush, toothpaste.
- Jewellery: day time, special occasion.
- Hair tools like straighteners and curlers
- Travel documents: passport (including photo copies), booking confirmations, travel insurance
- A great carry on bag with plenty of compartments
- Cross-shoulder bag for everyday activities
- Toiletries: buy small containers (or empty old ones from hotels) and fill them with your favourite must-haves.
- First Aid essentials bag: fill this with common medicines like cold and flu, stomach relief, sunburn, stings and bites… you don’t want to be caught out in a foreign country with unknown medicines!
- Liquids bag
- Makeup wipes, toothbrush and toothpaste
- Moisturiser (you can even use an old contact lens case to store small amounts of creams)
- Touch-up make up: concealer, mascara, CC cream
- Eye drops
- Collapsable water bottle (perfect to avoid that 100ml liquid maximum)
- Healthy snacks: almonds, fruit
- Neck pillow, eye mask, ear plugs
- Compression socks
- Foldable shoes
- Entertainment: iPad, ear phones, iPod, chargers