Do you struggle to keep your nails healthy and strong? Particularly in winter, the cold weather, lack of vitamins and sunlight can cause many deficiencies in our bodies. Many of these deficiencies can cause our nails to become brittle and dull.
Alternatively, if you frequently visit salons and wear acrylic nails or nail extensions, your natural nails can become weak. Recently, I made a decision to stop ruining my nails with acrylics and caught up with an nail professional. Jackie Honney, partner at LUXit (the Uber of beauty!), shared her best tips to get my nails looking healthy and strong. Read more to find out how!
1. Keep your nails and skin hydrated with cuticle oil and hand cream. Keep some on your bed side table to make it part of your routine, in your handbag and at work.
2. Use products with natural ingredients and keep antibacterial products to a minimum as they can dry out the nails and skin.
3. To maintain the appearance of your nails, push your cuticles back gently (after a shower is a good time as they are softer!). Remember, it’s not necessary to cut cuticles and this can lead to damage and affect nail growth.
4. Always use gloves when doing chores around the house – cleaning products have harsh chemicals that will strip moisture and natural oils from your nails, cuticles and hands. After cleaning, moisturise your hands and apply cuticle oil.
5. Look for colours that are good for your nails! Try the new gel polish system – Evo by Bio Sculpture. The collection contains an oxygenated base coat to keep nails healthy and 45 colours to choose from!
You can book Jackie to visit you at your home or office 7 days a week by visiting www.luxit.me
Now if you want a quick fix, try my DIY gelatine treatment! For harder, stronger nails all you need is:
15 grams of gelatine (easy to purchase at the supermarket!)
1 cup water
Put gelatine in a glass or ceramic bowl. Boil water and pour over gelatine, stir until it dissolves. Allow the mixture to cool. Soak fingers in the mixture for about 5 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and apply a hand cream usual.